Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I miss this place

This is Spain. And I miss it. I miss the land. I miss the smells, the food bathed in olive oil, the cavernous museums lined in famous art, the beauty of the language, having conversations in spanish with random old men at train stations, watching my friend John pee right in the middle of the town, and the idiosyncratic nature of the spanish people. I think what I miss most, though, is Spain's slowness, their ability to sit back and enjoy life a bit. Maybe Spaniards see life from a vantage point that is impossible for those of us who move at constant break-neck speeds. Maybe we should all slow down a bit, open our eyes, observe, and actually try and understand what's around us.

3 comments:

scbphotography said...

i totally agree... didn't we talk about this on sat? love the pictures, too!!

Ellen said...

wish i could go there too...

John "the Great" Buckingham said...

I must say that I agree with you sir. I've only been back for a day and I'm pretty much ready to return. Life here is so much different, and although there's some value to it I do believe I prefer the rythms and norms of the country I just left.

P.S. You peed three cars down from me bro, at least I didn't get spotted by a bunch of Spaniards.