Thursday, April 17, 2008

Absolution

So a while back I read this F. Scott Fitzgerald short story called, "Absolution." And then I wrote this poem in response to it. I don't know if its any good, but here it is. I also don't know if it will make any sense for those of you who haven't read the story. But o well; here it is anyway.

THINGS GO GLIMMERING

"When a lot of people get together
in the best places, things go glimmering."
Those bright blue eyes won't fill that
room with laughter and shiny stars.

You'll have to find that in another place,
because the brightness doesn't live here anymore,
But it'll find you, I promise, I promise!
if you'd just abandon the obscured version we invented.

You think you know where it hides,
beyond the wall of those cold tears of yours.
But you'll only find part of it there,
where they have lights "as big as stars."

Get rid of "the garnished front" and "conventional flag."
Get rid of it.
lay yourself down,
your private reservations.

No comments: